Restitution Conjugal Rights

What the law says:-

When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply,
by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights and the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly.Explanation:- Where a question arises whether there has been reasonable excuse for withdrawal from the society, the burden of proving reasonable excuse shall be on the person who has withdrawn from the society.

Section 1[1] of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 embodies the concept of
Restitution of Conjugal Rights under which after solemnization of marriage if one of the spouses abandons the other, the aggrieved party has a legal right to file a petition in the matrimonial court for restitution of conjugal rights. This right can be granted to any of the spouse.

This section is identical to section 22 of the Special Marriage Act, 1954. The provision is in slightly different wordings in the Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936, but it has been interpreted in such a manner that it has been given the same meaning as under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 and the Special Marriage Act, 1954. However, the provision is different under the section 32 Indian Divorce Act, 1869 but efforts are being made to give it such an interpretation so as to bring it in consonance with the other laws. The provision under Muslim law is almost the same as under the modern Hindu law, though under Muslim law and under the Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936 a suit in a civil court has to be filed and not a petition as under other laws.

To know more Just Contact Me

Nischala Siddha Reddy provides services as Attorneys & Lawyers consultancy in India engaged in the best services in the areas of Divorce, Mutual Divorce, Maintenance, Adoptions, Restitution Conjugal Rights, The Guardians and Wards, Mistaken Rights of children, 498A’ Dowry harassment, Domestic violence, Bails, Civil Cases, Criminal Cases, Annulment of Marriage….and Many More… for legal aspects Just Contact Me